Keto Caramel "Apple" Pie-Tart
There is nothing that I love more than apple pie! That sweetness from the apple, the gorgeous shortcrust base and you add caramel into the mx and i'll go weak in the knees!
Chayote sqush or choko as it seems to be known in New Zealand can be somewhat hard to find but if you cannot find it you can sub for zuchinni- just peel and de-seed and it will work out just as well I promise!
This recipe makes 2 small tartlettes with a little left over so if you plan to make a family sized pie please adjust the recipe accordingly
For the "apple" filling
2x small/ medium chayote squash (or 3-4 zuchinnis) Peeled and cubed
3t Apple pie spice- if you cannot find this use 1.5t cinnamon, 3/4t nutmeg and 1/4t ginger
Squeeze of lemon
1C Water or more if needed
58g Unsalted butter
4T Thickened cream
Squirt of Queens sugar free maple syrup
For the base-
30g Coconut flour
1/4t Baking Powder
90g Cold butter
To start lets make the pie crust as this needs time to chill!
1. Add all dry ingredients into a food processor and pulse to combine
2. Add butter in chunks and mix until dough is formed- do not over mix the dough!
3. Wrap in glad wrap and chill for at least 2 hours
While the pastry is chilling let's get on with the apple filling
1. Add butter to a deep pan and melt
2. Add chayote/ zuchinni and stir
3. Add spices, lemon juice and sweetener and mix well
4. Taste test here to see if it is balanced enough for you- you may need to add more of something!
5. Add 1C water and allow mixture to simmer away on a medium heat- if the water dissolves before the 'apple' is cooked add more water. Check the flavour the whole way through as the water can dilute it a little bit.
While the apple is cooking let's multi- task and get the caramel on!
1. Melt your butter and allow it to reach a deep golden stage- this makes the caramel flavour nice and rich!
2. Add the cream and sweeteners and whisk whisk whick to combine!!!
3. Let the caramel bubble away and get nice and thick! Allow to cool slightly once cooked
Now back to the pastry!
1. Take out of the fridge and roll the pastry out between two sheets of baking paper to fit your tartlette tin's
2. Fit the pastry into the tin's and poke some fork holes in the bottom.
3. Bake at 170 degrees for about 10 mins- keep an eye that the sides don't get too brown!
4. With the off cuts of the pastry cut up and add more sweetner and cinnamon to it- rub it all togehter with your fingers or a fork to create a crumble for the top
4. Add caramel to your tart, gently place cooked apple on top and add the off crumble to the top. Pop it back in the oven for 8 minutes.
5. Allow to cool for 20 minutes and then remove from tin.
I recommend eating the pie- tart straight out of the oven with whipped cream or keto vanilla ice cream.
I do not recommend re-heating this in a microwave as it will just turn into a puddle of butter (TRUST ME!)
Good thing this pie- tart is absolutely delicious cold as well though!