Sometimes, on the Keto diet I really miss fruit and this simple yet delicious banoffee pie really fulfils my cravings for fresh bananas! The caramel layer turns it in to a decadent dessert. You could add use cream cheese in place of the cream topping if you wanted something a bit more sturdy but I like the lightness the cream gives against the base.
This is a great special occasion dessert when you want something other than cake, or want to impress people when really this suagr free dessert is super simple!
1.5C Lotus almond flour- available here
1 tsp baking powder
4 TBSP SweetNZ not icing sugar- available here
4-6 TBSP melted butter
- (Optional) I highly advise toasting you’re almond meal/flour if you can in a pan until it smells fragrant, it gives the base a beautiful flavour. Pre heat oven to 180 degrees Celsius
- Add almond flour, baking powder and sweetener in a mixing bowl, Add melted butter 1 tbsp. at the time until just combined.
- Press crust into a flan tin an and bake for 10-12 mins or until thee edges turn golden. Remove and cool on the bench.
- While the crust is baking melt the butter in a large surfaced pan and brown. The deeper colour you get the more intense the flavour will be, be patient, do this on a low heat- you do not want to burn the butter!
- Add cream and whisk vigorously until combined, Add granulated sweetener and then the stevia drops 1 drop at a time tasting until it is at your liking
- Boil away until sauce thickens. Don’t rush this stage it can take 30 minutes or more– just give it an occasional stir.
- Pour caramel onto the crust and place in fridge to set for 2– 4 hours
- Beat cream, sweetener and vanilla in a large mixing bowl until soft peaks form.
- Add banana drops tasting and mixing a long the way to get the balance right!
- Once you reach your desired flavour put on top of set caramel layer and place in fridge overnight.
- (Optional) Grate dark chocolate over pie before serving.