Keto Hot Cross Buns
Posted on April 12 2019
Easter can be a hard time of year for people who are keto, suagr free or low carb! There are so many gloriously delicious temptations everywhere! The chocolate can be replaced easily enough with Keto varieties but what about Hot Cross Buns?? That spiced bread and sultanas is just pure heaven! Personally, I cannot go an Easter without hot cross buns- I mean the supermaret starts selling them just after Christmas that's how much we love them!
This recipe is an all time fave- if you have time to pop the almond flour and psyllium husk through a food processor or ninja I hightly recommend it!
2T Coconut flour
1/4 or 1/2 C sweetener of choice (this depends on how sweet you want it)
2t Baking powder
4 egg yolks
6 egg whites
56g melted butter
1/2 C Warm milk of choice
1t All Spice
Pams dried golden berriers- found at Pak N Save or New Worls (2.5g carbs per 25g)
1/2C Suagr free Chocolate chips
For the cross-
1. Set oven to 180 degrees celcius
2. Melt butter so it has time to cool slightly
3. Mix all dry ingredients together
4. Add yolks and whites, butter and warm milk with berries
5. Leave mixture for about 10 minutes so the psyllium husk can absorb the moisture
6. Add chocolate if you wish.
7. Wet hands and roll into balls and place on baking tray
8. Cook for 20-30 minutes
9. While the buns are baking make a syrup with 2T Sweetener and 6 TBSP cream and boil for a minute or two until it thickens on the stove.
10. As soon as you take the buns out of the oven pour or brush your syrup over the top and leave to cool.
11. Mix the lemon juice and powdered sweetener into a paste and pipe crosses onto buns.
12. Served best warm with butter!
Will keep for about 3 days in an air tight container