THE BEST SUGAR FREE CARAMALISED ONIONS YOU WILL EVER EAT!
(Laura's onion Jam)
This recipe is purely based on my mum's sugar laden caramelised onions that I grew up having– Just a few ingredient changes and she’s a keto dream!
Patience is key with this recipe don’t pull the onions off the heat until the are really softened all the way through and then they really are pure perfection! Perfect in a savoury tart , make a big batch and keep them in a jar in the fridge- I have had a jar last over a month, it has a great shelf life.
My favourite ways to use the onion jam are on a keto pizza, paired with steak or on Keto crackers- They can be found here
2x Red onion's
2T Olive oil
2 squeezes of lemon juice
2T mustard seeds
2t Ceres Organic apple cider vinegar- SOLD OUT
- Slice the onions thinly (I use a super dicer vegetable chopper)
- Melt oil and butter in a large skillet. When melted add onions and stir with a wooden spoon it to coat the onions
- Add Lemon, ACV, Balsamic vinegar, and sweetener to the onions and stir to coat, Taste, Add more of anything if it needs it.
- Turn the temp down to Medium—Low, leave it to simmer away and allow liquid to evaporate and onion soften. Stir every 5 or so minutes. Allow 20-35 mins for onions to get to desired softness.
- Take off the heat and allow to cool. Store in a jar in the fridge.